Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Progress being shown with CubicVR.Octree.js, frustum issues arrising

So another day has gone by, I've managed to get the system culling objects, but not correctly. Having glanced through the AABB code and frustum code, I'd have to assume my issue right now is with the frustum, as the AABB code is giving consistent results. The frustum code has been reused from the old implementation (which I firmly now believe didn't actually work correctly, at least not in the latest build) and it seems to be the source of my trouble, I am considering simply writing a new one from scratch, shouldn't take more than half a day.
At the moment, the system isn't actually even using the octree, instead using the isolated AABBs of each object to do its culling. I plan to make use of the octree, but not until I have it correctly culling at the AABB level, once that works, I know the frustum code is working correctly.
I plan to get this completed within the next few days, a week tops. But the fact that I haven't submitted anything for 0.4 yet is too pressing. I am going to be submitting this current build as my 0.4, I have gotten a fair bit done, so hopefully it will suffice. I really wish I had picked up this bug for my 0.3, everything would have sorted out much better. I will continue working on the bug and blogging about my progress each day, and with Humph's permission, update my 0.4 submission as I make progress. But for now, this is where I am marking my 0.4.
Below will be a short list of what has been accomplished for my 0.4 as of the time of this blog being published:
-Octree tests brought back to operational status
-Old octree implementation stripped out (Frustum code salvaged)
-New octree code added as module
-Octree components tied into system (migration about 70% done)
-Scene now culls scene objects using frustum and object level AABBs (frustum incorrect, causing unwanted culling)

No comments:

Post a Comment