Saturday, November 12, 2011

Using git and setting up my git server

Having used git for a few months now, I seem to have become fairly comfortable with it and have started implementing it into other projects that I have on the run. Really, with the exception of some initial start-up processes it can really be used as nothing more than a simply SVN server, so people familiar with SVN shouldn't have much of a problem operating git at a basic level. From this basic level, the users can slowly start unwrapping the layers of functionality within git. It doesn't seem to be too different from mercurial, I've heard some argue that git has a better branching system but I have heard opposing arguments that git lacks some of the utility that mercurial offers.

One con of git that I have noticed is that due to the way git works, simply making copies and copies of data as it branches and whatnot, it makes it inviable to keep binary resources(images, models, etc) grouped in with source code. If a project were to ever become large are well distributed, the sheer disk space usage that these resources would incur would very quickly spin out of control. I suppose this isn't too much of an issue, as it is probably good practice to keep your resources separate from your repo system anyways, instead using a more specialized solution to distribute a program's binary resources.

I recently got a git server running on my own personal server using gitosis. It was surprisingly difficult to get running, but this likely has a lot more to do with the fact that git server software are not usually built to run on Windows Server 2008 and are instead meant to run on Linux based system. Though through the use of cygwin and a few hours of tweaking I got a private git server running. If anyone is interested in having a place to privately store your code (as opposed to github which public unless you wanna drop like $8/month), you could set up your own git server running on your desktop or, once I get the security tightened up and tested on my server, I may be willing to give people accounts on my server so they may have access to a git repo that is unaccessible by the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment