Thursday, September 29, 2011

CubicVR Material Bug

I have been suited with a material transparency bug for the CubicVR 3D graphics system. The problem seems to be that when a material is initialized with an opacity of 1.0, that it cannot be changed afterwards. It was mentioned that the material system might just as well benefit from some form of dirty flag that will force the material to be regenerated during the next cycle so that inconsistencies like this should not be an issue any longer. I had a fair bit of experience in 3D graphics (for about a year now) so I was also asked to look into another issue, which is to create an automated test suite for the all of the commonly used material types. If no one else ends up wanting to grab that one, I might take it on board as well.

I have just recently completed a small test page that replicates this issue so it should make it easier to identify the state of my bug fix as I am developing it. It is a simple pair of boxes with the camera spinning around it and a control at the top of the page to allow you to change the transparency of one of the boxes, using the other box as a reference point. Its nothing spiffy but with it complete I am hoping I can have a rough bug fix ready before mid-night.

No comments:

Post a Comment